Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Why therapy?

Insert Caedmon Jeffrey Andreason here.
Caedmon was born on July 29, 2006. I can NOT believe my baby is about to be FIVE!

Here, is Caedmon's story.

We "passed" all our routine checkups each month until the 6Th month checkup when Jeff and I had concerns that Caedmon was not doing the things we felt, as first time parents, that he should be doing physically. For example, he was not holding his head up very well or at least it would be held to one side. He wouldn't grasp items in his hand. He would concentrate on something like he wanted to play with it but never pick it up and shake, rattle or roll:) So, our pediatrician whom we adore suggested we get a MRI of Caedmon's brain as he thought it would be either quirky development (so normal--- this is where you trash your magazines of what your child should be doing at each month) OR something more significant. The MRI results came back and we were referred to a neurologist in Grapevine. While meeting with this doctor and staring at a computer screen of my son's brain; we were told Caedmon had CEREBRAL PALSY. Sounds scary, sounds ill, sounds big and sounds like everything except quirky development. And we were right..... about the last TWO things anyway:)..... We were sad. We were beaten. We were concerned. We were out of control. After a LONG discussion of what cerebral palsy was by our new neurologist and our pediatrician; we were suddenly looking at lives that looked nothing like what we imagined. We were looking down a road that seemed to only shine light on that very second. A road that was dark, cold and unknown.

I need you to know, as it plays a major role in who Caedmon is, that LOTS of family and friends were praying us through this time of change. This NEW season of life. And ONLY by the power of God can I say that Jeff and I truly grabbed hold of the JOY that was before us quickly. We re-routed our thinking. We dwelled not on what might be to come or what life may look like for us in 5, 10, 20 years..or tomorrow. Instead, what was MOST important in our life right then? Caedmon. What does Caedmon need RIGHT NOW? Two things. He needs therapy. Lots of physical, occupational, and speech therapy. But, most importantly he needs a Mommy and Daddy that see him as a perfect gift from God... A God that makes NO mistakes. A God that molds us into his own image. A God that is sovereign over all and sees to the ends of the earth. A God that loves us despite our imperfections. A God that is in FULL control. A God that can USE whomever for HIS GLORY..... And with that, in full tears as I tell my all time favorite story, I'd like for you to meet my son. A boy that I would not take any other way and that I can honestly say has changed Jeff and I from the inside out for so many reasons. When Caedmon smiles; you see the glory of Christ. You see the innocence and you see HOPE. For whom? YOURSELF. Gods chosen one, like you. And my undeserving gift.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful. Psalm 139:14

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or can imagine according to his power that is at work within us. Ephesians 3:20

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this. I cannot tell you how much I love your son (and the rest of your family, too). To read these words knowing they are straight from your heart is powerful. "Our God does not make mistakes". Those are awesome words and reminder for me that we are made in His image and we are all made for His glory. I have no doubt Caedmon's life will bring much glory to God. It already has. You are the BEST mother I have and will ever know! I am so glad you are sharing your story and Caedmon's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love loved this heart filled story I love y'all sooooo much plz keep updating!!..your story will touch many peoples lives xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post, and what a lovely boy Caedmon is! The joy and hope in his eyes are so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. You raise so many important points, and it will give so many people hope. I pray there will be lots of joy on your journey, and I hope you will continue to share it.

    ReplyDelete